Cooked red potatoes are boiled potatoes whose skin is red in color. These ready-to-eat potatoes are well known for their smooth skin and whitish creamy flesh. Apart from boiling, you can also roast, bake or mash it.
Before cooking it, you have to ensure that it is properly washed to remove any form of dirt. They taste very sweet and can be enjoyed using other ingredients like onions, salads, mustard, fresh herb, and so many others.
So, how long do cooked red Potatoes last Unrefrigerated?
Cooked red potatoes should be kept at room temperature for nothing less than two hours. This time is enough for it to cool down properly before placing it in the refrigerator.
Leaving it for too long in an unrefrigerated condition can lead to the accumulation of bacteria which can spoil your potato.
Consuming such food can also cause foodborne illness which can be very detrimental to your health.
How Long Do Cooked Red Potatoes Last In The Freezer?
Cooked Red potatoes can last for a very long time in the freezer and this can range from two to three months.
It is important to note that, as time goes by the quality will start to degrade gradually.
The freezing condition of the freezer inhibits or slows down the growth of bacteria
And this ensures that your red potatoes last for some time without going bad.
Adhering to the guidelines regarding storage in the freezer is very vital so that you don’t make any mistakes.
- How to cook with carbon steel pans
- How long does a cast iron skillet last?
- How long do refried beans last in the pantry, fridge, and freezer?
- H0w to zest a lemon without a grater
How Long Do Cooked Red Potatoes Last In The Fridge?
Unlike storage in the freezer which can last for some months, storing red potatoes in the fridge can last up to three or four days in good quality.
The temperature of the fridge also helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria and preserve its freshness.
You must ensure that you consume it within three days.
Eating stored red potatoes that have extended more than four days can lead to serious health issues.
How Do You Store Cooked Red Potatoes?
There are two major ways of storing cooked red potatoes.
It can either be in the refrigerator or freezer:
Storing Red Potatoes In the Refrigerator
Here’s the best way to store cooked red potatoes in the fridge;
- After cooking your potato, allow it to properly cool down at room temperature. This will ensure that water or moisture does not gather inside the potato.
- The next step is to transfer your cooked red potatoes into a container that is airtight. Alternatively, you can also use a resealable plastic bag for this same purpose. You must ensure that whatever container or bag you are using, it should be very clean and airtight.
- After placing them in the container or bag, you must cover them immediately and properly so that your potato doesn’t dry out but remains fresh.
- You place them in the coldest part of your refrigerator and then you are done. The cold environment helps to slow down the growth of bacteria, molds, or other harmful microorganisms.
Potatoes that are properly stored in the refrigerator can last up to three to five days in good quality.
Please do not consume, if it has extended more than the indicated period of time as this can lead to serious foodborne illness.
Storing Cooked Red Potatoes in the Freezer
Here’s the best method for storing cooked red potatoes in the freezer;
- When your red potatoes are properly cooked or boiled, you must allow them to cool down for a while before storing them. Ice crystals or condensation can be formed in the freezer, especially when the potatoes are stored in a hot condition.
- Before freezing, it is important that you cut your potatoes into smaller pieces and this should be done in a way that suits your preference. You may also decide to peel off the skin or leave it like that.
- It is now time for you to transfer your cooled potatoes into an airtight freezer container or sealed freezer bags. You must ensure that the material of the container or bag is designed to withstand extreme freezing conditions. They must be able to resist moisture or freezer burns. Another good substitute is the use of special aluminum foil that is made for freezing conditions. Plastic wraps that are freezer safe can also be used.
- Whatever material you are using to seal your cooked red potatoes, it must be done properly. If it is a container, ensure that it is tightly covered. If you are using a plastic bag, the zip must be locked properly, and must try to squeeze out enough air as possible before zipping.
- It is very vital that you do not fill up the airtight container or plastic bags with your cooked red potatoes. Leaving some accommodation or space will ensure that the container does not crack during expansion. During extreme freezing conditions, your plastic bag or container can expand and that is why you need to be careful.
- After sealing properly, label the container with the date of storage and its content. This is very important as it helps you to keep track of the time duration, which will enable you not to consume potatoes that have stayed for too long.
- After labeling, place your freezer bags and airtight containers in the freezer. Do well to arrange it properly in an orderly manner. This can be done by placing them in a single form or later. Applying this method will make your cooked red potatoes to freeze quickly.
Once they are already frozen, you can now decide to place them over each other so that you can save some space in the freezer.
Following the above steps will help to preserve your cooked red potatoes for over three months in good quality.
What To Do With Soft Potatoes?
Soft Potatoes can be used for many things.
Here are five of them.
1. In some cultures, soft potatoes can be used in preparing soups.
You just have to peel it properly and chop it into smaller sizes.
Then you mix with your vegetables, onions, chicken broth, garlic, and other great ingredients of your choice.
2. Soft Potatoes can also be used to produce potato pancakes.
The grated potatoes and mixed with pepper, salt, eggs, and flour.
After mixing properly, you fry them in a skillet till it turns golden brown with a little bit of crispiness.
They are very delicious when prepared well.
3. Soft Potatoes can also be used as mashed potatoes.
After peeling and cutting them into smaller portions, you now boil them properly until it is very soft.
Mash the tender potato with milk, butter, and other desired ingredients.
4. These potatoes can also be added to a very delicious potato casserole.
This special combination is done by slicing the potatoes into very small sizes and placing them on the baking dish.
You can add ingredients like cream, spices, cheese, or herbs.
After mixing the ingredients, the next step is to bake it till the top of the potato is gold in color.
5. Your soft potatoes can also be used to prepare breakfast hash.
The process of preparing this delicious meal is easy.
Fry your finely sliced potatoes in a pan mixed with vegetables, onions, peppers, sausage, bacon, and other desired ingredients.
Serving them with eggs is one of the most satisfying things.
Can You Reheat Red Potatoes?
Yes, you can reheat your red potatoes through three well-known methods.
1. Oven method: Before engaging in any reheating activity, you have to preheat your oven first.
The next step is to place the potato inside the oven and properly cover it with aluminum foil.
Then you heat it for about ten to fifteen minutes.
This will help to prevent excessive drying and retaining moisture.
2. Microwave method: This method is very easy to apply. You just have to place the potatoes in the safe dish if your microwave.
Then you have to cover it up properly with plastic wrap or the safe lid of your microwave.
Then you heat it up for about one or two minutes and then you are done.
3. Stovetop method: This method is a little bit different from the rest.
You have to take your pan and place it over the stove at medium heat.
Then add a little bit of butter or oil to the heated pan.
Ensure that your red potatoes are spread evenly on a single layer.
It is important that you stir it occasionally so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- How long does whey protein last in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How to cook with copper pans?
- How long do overnight oats last in the storage place?
- Can Chicharrones go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
How To Tell If Cooked Red Potatoes Are Bad?
Here’s how to tell if cooked potatoes are bad;
1. The first step is to check for visible signs of spoilage and this may range from its texture, color, or the growth of mold.
When you notice any discoloration or any slimy texture, then it is wise to dispose immediately.
2. Another indication that helps you to know if your cooked red potatoes are bad is the smell.
Sniff (not too close to your nostrils) them properly to detect any change in smell.
A bad odor is a major sign that shows that the potatoes are already contaminated by harmful bacteria.
3. You can slightly taste it to know if the taste is different.
Any form of unpleasant taste is a very clear indication of a bad red potato.
4. If your cooked red potatoes have been left at room temperature for more than two hours,
Then it’s wise to dispose of it.
This also applies to the refrigerator. If it has stayed for an extended period of time, then it has surely gone bad.
Whenever you notice any of these signs, it is best to discard them immediately as they can cause serious damage to your health.
- How long does Poland spring water last in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- Can oxo cubes go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How long do egg tarts last in the freezer, fridge, and on the counter?
- How long does C4 pre workout last in the pantry, freezer, and fridge?
Cooked red potatoes are very delicious and come with a lot of nutritional benefits.
They are rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, and a source of energy.
They can be prepared in different forms which are enjoyed by many people around the world.